Home   1 - Seniors   Tullylish Seniors vs Ballyholland 30/05/2014

Tullylish Seniors vs Ballyholland 30/05/2014

Ballyholland       0:13       Tullylish 0:13


An injury time point in the dying seconds of the game left Tullylish and Ballyholland level at the final whistle as both teams added one more point to their league campaign.

The game got off to a flying start as Ballyholland came out strong and opened the scoring within seconds snapping up the first point. It wasn’t long until Tullylish replied with a superb point from Conor Magee with the help of Kevin McCartan.

Impressive in the defence was Barry Priestly and Davy Byrne as well as Fiontann O’Dowd along with midfielder Gareth Johnston who has recently made a comeback after a long term injury. The duo worked tirelessly against the Ballyholland defence and after a soaring leap from Johnston in the middle of the field, the ball was safely delivered to John McAreavey who added a second point to the Tullylish account in the 8th minute.

Ballyholland flourished an in impressive run with three consecutive points from dominant forwards Patrick Quinn and Ronan Murtagh to push the visitors three clear (0:2- 0:5)

It wasn’t long before Tullylish caught up, shooting four points to reel in their opponents and overtake them. After three McAreavey frees, the committed effort of Johnston linked up with McCartan proved vital as they set up an exquisite point for Joe McDermott which left the ‘Lish men leading by the minimum.

A 14 yard free won by Patrick Quinn was then converted just before the half time whistle which brought the sides level.

Tullylish hit the ground running in the second half as Kevin McKiverigan and McDermott bisected the posts within a minute of each other. McKiverigan maintained his gallop as he won a well-earned free which was posted by McAreavey.

The hosts looked to be coasting before being reined in by influential attackers Rory White and Ciaran Murphy scoring three points between them in a period of 6 minutes.

McKiverigan and James McDermott strove manfully and combined with McAreavey who scored yet another point, this time from a ridiculously obscure angle.

Ballyholland also kept the scoreboard ticking with two more points before a dynamic long range shot from John McKiverigan reduced the deficit to the minimum.

Another free kick hit by McAreavey brought the sides level for the fifth time in this tit-for-tat league encounter. A side line ball converted to a ’45 for Ballyholland which was then moved up by referee Leo Smyth was casually sent over by Patrick Quinn to allow his side to take the slim one point advantage in the dying minutes.

The last period of the game was crucial for Tullylish. A wide for Ballyholland was the lifeline the home side needed and they capitalised when Gareth Johnston’s determination won a 14 yard free which was converted comfortably by McAreavey to tie the match.


Tullylish Team: Aaron O’Hagan, Davy Byrne, Barry Priestly, Chris Magee, Kevin McCartan, Fiontann O’Dowd, Kevin McKiverigan (0:1) Gareth Johnston, Niall Donnelly, Aidan McKernan, John McKiverigan (0:1) Joe McDermott (0:2) Conor Magee (0:1) John McAreavey (0:8- 0:6 frees) and Shannon Drainey

Subs used: James McDermott and Sean McDermott


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *